Thursday, February 6, 2014

Striped dress

The Old Navy striped dress is the newest object in my dress collection. I bought it before Christmas.

Did you know that in the13th and14th centuries you would have a big problem if you wore stripes - it was "the devil's cloth". Only heretics, jesters, prostitutes, lepers and the handicapped wore stripes. Praise the Lord. In the last two centuries stripes have taken on positive meanings: freedom, youth, playfulness, and pleasure.

The inspiration for this outfit was from the weekly spotlights theme, "Prints and Patterns" from the Styling in St. Louis blog.
In the beginning I wanted to pair the dress with different brighter patterns, but then I changed my mind. I didn't feel like wearing a noisy and overly colorful outfit. So I played with two colors, white and black, and paired the striped dress with a pied-de-poule scarf that I bought on Canal street in Manhattan.  This cashmere, houndstooth patterned scarf was purchased during a recent trip to NY (I often guess wrong with the weather on trips to New York and I end up being too cold. I usually have to buy a scarf or a hat).



I love an effect that I got. When you look at this pattern mixing from a distance, you can see an extraordinary optical graphic illusion.








If He goes to the left then we'll go to the left
And if He goes to the right then we'll go to the right
We're going to jump jump jump jump in the river
Jump jump jump jump, everybody








Stylin’ In St. Louis

No comments: